Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The definition of parenting...

It seems to me that parenting is synonymous with worry. I'm not a worrier in my normal life. But something about having this little person completely dependent on me for survival lends itself well to paranoia and worries and fears and frets.

Things I worry about as a new parent (even the second time around)...

  • Is my breastmilk making his tummy hurt? Am I burping him well enough? How much poop is too much? Is he grunting because he's miserable?
  • Will he get a flat head from laying in one place too often?
  • Is it normal for him to cough/gag when he's drinking? What if he does it when he's sleeping?
  • Am I talking to him/engaging him enough for his little brain to develop?
  • Is he running a fever or just warm from snuggling?
  • Am I making enough milk for him? Am I pumping enough to build a stash for when I go back to work? Am I eating/drinking enough to maintain good supply?
  • Is his belly firm because of a tumor? 
  • Is he too hot when he sleeps? Is he too cold when he sleeps?
  • Will he have problems due to his "heart-shaped" tongue? 
  • Are his diapers rubbing on his legs too tightly? Are his carseat straps rubbing on him too harshly?
  • Is he napping too long? Is he not napping enough?
  • Is he overdressed? Is he underdressed?
  • ...
  • ...
Sigh. It's like that quote...parenting is definitely letting your heart live outside your body. 

1 comment:

  1. He has a heart shaped tounge? :) I know, this is like incredibly late, I don't read my list very often, just go onto my blog, sorry. lol

    Jake has a heart shaped tounge as well, it's from him being tounge tied I imagine and something not growing just right. Jake does have a speech delay, but he's gotten much better in the last year.. But he also had that dang paci until he was over 3 years old 24/7 so that could of been a problem as well. I just thought it was kinda neat that someone else has a baby with a heart shaped tounge. :)

    ReplyDelete